Italeri 1/72 C-27J Spartan
Model by Jaroslav Kral
Hello everyone, happy new year 2015 and happy modeling. I would like to share with you my build of the C-27J from Italeri. I think there have been many reviews written about this model so i will focus on my build.
I like to improve models not only with resin or photo etched parts but also incorporating action features. I am interested also in electronics so my friend and I developed small programmed circuits to control electric motors and various light effects. The C-27J is like Christmas tree with all of its lights installed so why not to represent it on the model?
There are some places where LED or SMD LEDs could not be installed so fiber optics are a perfect solution.
Let´s start. First I drilled holes for electric motors and adjusted theair intakes. Once done, the engines could be assembled.
Of course this is twin engine aircraft so I had to do everything twice.
Once the engines were completed I started the cockpit and cargo compartment assembly. I put green SMD LEDs into cocpit as it is the color most used. The cargo compartment has no lighting because all thewires and connections will be located there.
It was quite fun to install lights into the wing. There are 6 formation lights 2 position lights, 2 landing lights and wires for engines!
Once all the electronics were connected I assembled the fuselage and wings together. Next time, I would do them separately, leaving the wires free from the fuselage. Once all the subassemblies are sanded and polished the main wing could be connected.
Once all was dry I took care of the cleaning, sanding and polishing.
I used Eduard express masks to mask all windows and Maskol for all the lights.
Next I airbrushed the model and applied washes and weithering effects.
I painted and masked the leading edges and all black details before airbrushing the overall color.
I always apply a gloss coat before decaling. Once it is applied, decals can be placed.
When i was happy i did another gloss coat before weathering. These aircraft are not much used in service so only light weathering is necessary.
After removing the masks, I added small details and placed the model on a display base. I decided on a black base because the gray aircraft shows up well against it. Next I completed all the wiring and connections to the control unit.
The model has variable power supply. It can be powered from a 12V DC source or battery.
Once the connection were finished the instalation could be tested. The final result is just awesome. I hope you enjoyed this built. More will follow. My next projects will be an A350 or a B-17. We will see.
Greetings from the Czech Republic!